Beyond the Basics Coding Workshop Day 1 of 2
8:00 AM-4:00 PM
W314A-B (Orange County Convention Center)
Dawn W. Jackson DrPH, RHIA, CCS-P, FAHIMA
Richmond, KY, USA
The AAOMS Beyond the Basics coding workshop is taught in two days, concentrating on different topics each day. Both days are necessary to achieve the maximum benefits this course has to offer. AAOMS encourages oral and maxillofacial surgeons to attend with their allied staff team. Participants must have a basic understanding of CDT, CPT, ICD-9-CM and ICD-10-CM. Basic coding knowledge or completion of the AAOMS Basic Coding course is suggested before participating in this intermediate level, two-day coding workshop. The Basic course is available online at aaoms.org/codingbilling. NOTE: The practice exercises in the Beyond the Basics Coding Workshop will contain ICD-10 codes. Therefore, knowledge of ICD-10 or completion of the AAOMS ICD-10 Workshop will be required for participation in the Beyond the Basics. Bring your CPT, CDT, HCPCS, ICD-9 and ICD-10 coding books. This is a hands-on workshop and books are not sold on site. Registration for the AAOMS Beyond the Basics Coding Workshop is separate from annual meeting registration. Registration for one does not guarantee registration for the other.
- Explain key healthcare reimbursement issues, the Correct Coding Initiative (CCI), the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), Medicare compliance, and fraud and abuse;
- Achieve compliance through appropriate documentation for services provided (eg, use of E/M guidelines);
- Follow guidelines for coding anesthesia, applying associated modifiers and other coding trends;
- Analyze clinical case studies to code OMS-specific procedures; and
- Describe the relationship of coding to third-party reimbursement.